The holidays can be bittersweet for those of us who don't eat traditional Thanksgiving fare (turkey). Questions like, "So what are we going to feed you?", start to come up, as does the blood pressure of hosts who aren't use to accommodating an herbivore.
But believe it or not, there is plenty that someone who doesn't eat meat -- let alone dairy, soy or gluten -- can gobble up at the Thanksgiving table.
This year is unique for me, as I'm looking at holiday dishes with a new perspective: food allergies. Fortunately, I don't have any host(ess) to stress out with my no gluten and no soy veganism, but I can only feel for those who do. So whether you have a food allergy, are accommodating someone who has one, or maybe you're looking to try something new, then I hope my collection of recipes below proves helpful.
Note: please bear in mind that I haven't made all of these recipes, some are on my to-make list, so any notes I make on adapting recipes must be taken with a grain of salt, as I haven't tested every adaptation.
V = Vegan
SF = Soy-free
GF = Gluten-free
- Autumn Millet Bake (v, sf, gf)
- Farro & Millet Risotto (sf, v if you sub. v cheese - ex. Daiya - for the Parmesan)
- Squash Boats with Quinoa (v, sf, gf)
- Quinoa Skillet Bread (sf, gf if you sub. gf flour for the whole wheat flour, v if you sub. egg replacer/chia/flax "egg" for the real egg, coconut oil for the butter and coconut cream for the dairy cream)
- Simple Vegetable Paella (v, sf, gf)
- Bulgur & Green Lentil Salad with Chickpeas (v, sf)
- Cranberry, Apricot & Pecan Wild Rice Pilaf (v, sf, gf)
- Moroccan Millet & Butternut Squash Pilaf (v, sf, gf)
- Brussels Sprouts & Roasted Winter Squash Hash (sf, gf, v if you omit the eggs)
- Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze (v, sf, gf if you sub. gf bread for breadcrumbs)
- Spinach Rice Gratin Recipe (v if you sub. v cheese - ex. Daiya)
- Swiss Chard & Sweet Potato Gratin (gf, sf)
- Butternut Squash & Cheddar Bread Pudding (gf, sf)
- Spicy Dinosaur Kale & Cannellini Beans (v, gf, sf)
- Savory Chickpea Cakes (sf, v if you sub. egg replacer/chia/flax "egg", gf if you sub. gf bread for the breadcrumbs and gf flour for the AP flour)
- Winter Squash and Turnip Gratin (sf, gf, v if you sub. egg replacer/chia/flax "egg" for the real eggs, rice/almond/coconut milk for the dairy milk and v cheese - ex. Daiya - for the Parmesan)
- Cauliflower w/ Mung Beans & Spiced Sunflower Seeds (v, sf, gf)
- This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole (v, sf if you sub. coconut oil for butter, gf if you sub. a gf flour)
- Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf (v, sf, gf if you use gf flour and gf oats)
- Kale and Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes (sf, gf, v if you sub. coconut milk/cream for the dairy milk/cream)
- Mushroom & Thyme Mashed Potatoes (v, gf, sf)
- Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy (sf, v if you sub. coconut oil for butter, gf if you sub. a gf flour for AP flour)
- Vegan Gravy (v, gf if you sub. a g flour for AP flour)
- Smoked Almond Gravy (v, gf)
- Plumberry Sauce or Jam (v, sf, gf)
- Firecracker Cornbread Recipe (sf, v by sub. coconut oil for the butter, rice milk for the dairy milk and egg replacer/chia/flax "egg" for the real egg)
- Chickpea Rice Pan Bread (v, sf, gf)
- Softest Italian Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Ever (v)
Desserts (since almost all desserts are vegetarian, the following are all vegan)
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie (v)
- Coconut Sweet Potato Pie (v, sf)
- Raw Pumpkin Parfaits (v, sf, gf)
- Old Fashioned Chocolate Pudding Pie (v, sf)
- Apple Pie Cheesecake (v, gf)
- Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream (v, sf, gf if you sub. a gf flour for AP flour)
- Pear Frangipane Tart (v, sf, gf if you use a gf pie crust - see below)
- Allergen-Free Warm Apple-Apricot Cake (v, sf, gf if you use a gf flour)
- Pecan Pie (v, sf)
- Candied Ginger Pears (v, sf, gf)
- Apple-Walnut-Ginger Galette (v, sf)
- Holiday-Spiced Vegan Creme Brulee (v, gf)
- Mashed Potato Puffs (sf, gf)
- Creamy Mashed Potato and Leek Soup (obviously use veg-based stock; v, sf, gf if you omit the crackers or use gf crackers)
- Sweet Potato and Cornbread Hash with Veggie Sausage Gravy (v if you substitute rice/almond/coconut milk and an egg replacement, sf if you omit the sausages, depending on the sausage of course)
- Stuffing Stuffed Mushrooms (sf, v if you sub. coconut oil for the butter)
- Cranberry Sauce Over Pound Cake A La Mode (this Rachael Ray recipe isn't a vegan friendly recipe -- like you're surprised knowing who it belongs to! -- so let me know if any of you health-ify or veg-ify this one)
- Cranberry Buttermilk Pancakes (sf, easily made v by substituting coconut oil for butter, rice/almond/coconut milk for dairy milk and egg replacer/chia/flax "egg" for real egg; and for those that are gf, you can always make buckwheat pancakes instead)
- Leftover Cranberry Sauce Muffins (sf, v if you substitute egg replacer/chia/flax "egg" for the real egg and non-dairy milk)
If you dig this list, then you may also like the following:
- Go Dairy Free, "Dairy-Free Thanksgiving Recipes"
- Slow Food, Thanksgiving Guide 2011
- Herbivoracious, "Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes"
- NY Times Well, "Beyond Pumpkin Pie: Thankful for Dessert"
- Vegan Peace Blog, "Vegan Thanksgiving Desserts"
- Post Punk Kitchen, "Thanksvegan Stuff"
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!